Maintaining eye contact is an important factor in determining the quality of conversations. In turn, the quality of conversations manifest the foundation for meaningful relationships.
Several benefits of eye contact include:
1. Confirms engagement - Affirm that you are paying attention. The conversation will never mature if the other person does not feel as though you are listening.
2. Exudes confidence - Be sure of yourself.. Eye contact is an easy way to appear competent, skilled, and knowledgeable about the task at hand.
3. Enhances intimacy - The greater the eye contact, the more warm and personable you come across, and thus the more inviting the conversation.
4. Improves trust - Looking elsewhere may plant a seed of doubt in the other person, whether justified or not. "Are you hiding something?" turns into "Are you being deceptive?" turns into "Are you a bad person?"
5. Conveys appreciation - Whether a forced or chosen conversation, someone has just spent valuable time with you. You may never meet that person again. Be grateful for the connection.
Every interaction with another is an opportunity that should be cherished with your undivided attention. The eyes are truly the window to the soul.